At Windows OS of any version, some users often face a strange dialog box titled ‘Product Assistant' having error message, ‘the feature you are trying to use is on a disk that is not available'. This dialog box asks for anyone of these files – ProductAssistant.msi, SolutionCenter.msi files, or TrayApp.msi. These error messages are related to the HP Printer installation in your Windows and often appear with computer startup every time. It becomes quite frustrated when these errors appears continuously and doesn't go even on clicking on the Cancel button. If you are also facing such a frustrating problem then you can perform the below mentioned steps to get rid of it.
Disclaimer: We are going to discuss few technical steps but we do not take any guarantee or responsibility of the results after performing them. It is up to the reader how he or she follows them. If you are not technical enough then take help from Online Printer Support.
Explaining the errors
Mostly the users face two error messages explained below. These errors occur when any installation file of HP Printer drivers got missing and Windows is instructed to load that file.
• The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available.
Insert the ‘ProductAssistant' disk and click OK.
ProductAssistant Installation error
• The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.
Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package ‘SolutionCenter.msi' in the box below.
SolutionCenter.msi Installation error
• The path cannot be found. Verify that you have access to the installation package ‘TrayApp.msi' in a folder from which you can install the product TrayApp.
Method 1 – Installing missing file from CD
We can try to install the missing file from the CD arrived with your HP printer.
1. Insert the HP Printer CD inside the Optical Drive.
2. Open My Computer and then open Optical Drive to explore it.
3. If the error is with ProductAssistant.msi then open this folder and double click the hpproductassistant.msi file to run it.
o Remember solutioncenter.msi and TrayApp.msi are in the Setup folder itself.
o Running the MSI file will install the missing item in the existing HP Printer installation.
4. Restart the computer.
Method 2 – Downloading the drivers
If you don't have the installation disc of the HP printer or lost it then follow below steps:
1. Visit support.hp.com in your Web browser.
2. Enter the complete product name with its model number in the textbox. The model number is mentioned at the front of your printer itself. For example, HP Deskjet D2680 Printer.
Entering the model number at HP Support
3. Hit the Next button. This will open the support page for your printer model.
4. Select the ‘Software & Driver downloads' on this page.
Downloading drivers from HP Support Website
5. Select your Operating System and click the button saying ‘Next'.
Selecting OS while downloading drivers from HP Support
This will display the list of drivers and software available for your printer for the selected Operating System.
Driver and Software list for selected HP Printer
6. Click the ‘Driver – Product Installation Software' for your printer.
7. Select the link showing Full Feature Software and Driver. Remember only the Full Featured drivers will have the missing file, so go for it.
NOTE: The downloading time solely depends upon the connection you're using. If Internet connection or downloading speed is slow or you're using 56Kbps connection then prefer to order the disc using the link ‘Order Physical Media – CD DVD USB' on the same page. The HP conditions and charges may be applicable for this order. Proceed to previous Method 1 after getting this CD via order.
Selecting Full Feature Software & Drivers for HP Printer
8. This will take you to another download page. Obviously, you have to click on the button saying ‘Download'.
Download option for selected HP Printer driver
9. Save this file at the safe and memorable location on your computer. You can save it on the desktop in a new folder.
10. Open the location, where you've saved this file having the complete drivers.
11. Run the file and this will extract the driver files in Temporary Folder for your Windows user.
12. Open the Run box from Start Menu.
13. Type %temp% in the textbox of Run and click the OK button. This will open the User's Temporary Folder.
14. Look for a folder named 7sxxx or 7sxxx.tmp. Here x can be any alphabet or number.
15. If you are getting the error for ProductAssistant.msi, then open hpproductassistant > hpproductassistant.msi. Else open solutioncenter.msi or TrayApp.msi in the folder.
Following the steps, mentioned in any of the above method, will install the missing MSI file. You can restart the computer and check whether you are still getting this error message or not.
Contact the experts at Online Printer Support if you still face this problem or have any queries about the steps mentioned in this article.