A long distance relationship requires commitment, strong ties to each other, telling the truth and being totally honest with one another. To endure it requires two people who genuinely love each other. The type of long distance relationship I am talking about is overseas dating or international dating. This is truly a long distance relationship.
Being in this type of relationship is one of the hardest things you can do, but well worth it. Being away from someone who you have come to love can be emotionally draining but here are some tips that may help.
1. You must communicate regularly. A combination of emails, phone calls, instant messages, Skype or webcam sessions are great ways to communicate in a long distance relationship. With work, and other daily obligations, communication can be the first thing to go. Try to set up a daily routine. The best time is usually at the end of the day when you both can discuss how your day went. Even a few minutes together every day to connect and check in with each other can produce amazing results.
2. Another nice thing can be to surprise them with a call or text message about how much you miss them or love them. An occasional unexpected voice mail, email or text can go far in showing them you are thinking of them during the day.
3. You will both have to make compromises at times. You may need to forego weekend plans or stay home from a party so you can connect with your sweetheart by phone, webcam or text. When you do go out with friends or family, be sure to tell your partner what you are doing and make a point to include them in your daily activities so they have a better understanding of your life and how you spend your time. Keep them included in your life. Make time for them. Even if you have to work all weekend, make sure you connect and let them know you are thinking about them.
4. Set up a time one weekend every now and then for them as well. Plan to goof off on the webcam and talk on the phone and just talk about your childhood, funny things that have happened to you and your hopes and dreams for the future. Listen to your partners stories as well. These times are so valuable for really getting to know someone.
5. You have to trust that your partner is being faithful and committed to you. It can be hard to trust and it is perfectly natural for bad thoughts to creep into your mind from time to time. Be sure to talk this out with your sweetheart. Jealousy and distrust will not hold you together. Honesty and communication will.
6. Don't ever assume you know what your partner is doing or thinking. If you have doubts or questions about something, ask! Communicating by email is especially difficult because you can not see the other person's face or hear the tone in their voice. You may misinterpret an email and if you don't ask about it, you could create hard or negative feelings without even realizing it.
7. Keep the romance alive by telling your partner how much they mean to you. Don't hesitate to send a spontaneous email or text. Let them know you are thinking about them. Let them know you miss them and try to always plan your next meeting so there is something positive to look forward to and talk about.
This may seem like a lot to take in but it will be well worth it when you are finally together. A couple that has survived a long distance relationship is stronger and their relationship is built on a firm foundation of communication, trust and patience. Good luck and enjoy getting to know each other one day at a time!