There is no industry standard when you want to check the quality of white marble tiles. However, there are many ways of judging the quality of these stones. You can understand the factors that make them stronger or weaker. This helps you a lot in choosing the right stone for your interior designing. Some of the most common ways are listed below-
1. When you visit a marble supplier, judge the stones, by looking at the back of the stone. You need to look for a clean surface without a cover of mesh or net. Presence of a net or mesh at the back indicates a weaker stone. This is prone to breakage, cracking, etching and scratching.
2. When you examine the marble's surface under a light at an angle of 45 degrees, you should not find any dull and small patches. These dull patches indicate filling. This is done to fill the pores or holes on the surface on the otherwise smooth polished surface.
3. Some varieties of white marble tiles have this filling only if they are of low quality. High quality stones do not have any holes or pores. Avoid stones with a lot of fills as they may lead to the further damage of the stone.
4. While buying marble stones, ensure that you look at the veins on the surface. Flip the stone over and check for cracks or fissures. Sometimes you may find cracks along the veins at the back of the stone. Stones with small cracks or fissures can still be used for walls and low traffic areas.
5. Find out more about the quality by knowing the hardness factor of the stone. Stones with low hardness factor can have the qualities like fills or fissures, but still have high quality. Stones that have high hardness factor with the same qualities are supposed to be of low quality.
6. Check for even shapes and edges. Straight edges result in even grouting. Stones that do not have perfect shapes upset the flooring plan and make it difficult for cutting, installing and grouting.
7. Look for uniform thickness all through. Uneven thickness results in uneven floor and can cause accidents at home.
8. Polish of the stones is another factor to look at. Quality polish will not have swirl marks.
These are some of the tips, which can help you judge the quality of white marble tiles. Marble is a durable construction material and provides great looking interiors.
Source by Simon Word